Thursday, January 21, 2016

BP: Water Bottle



January 20th: We examined water bottles in class. I decided to just bring a plastic water bottle from Kroger. Other students brought their reusable, nice water bottles. Never did I ever expect to rethink using the plastic/recycle water bottle. Turns out, 60-80% of these guys don't get recycled properly and end up in land fills. I also found it interesting that about 2/3 of the class brought in their reusable fancy water bottles. For some reason, I always figured more people used plastic recycled water bottles.

While examining my water bottle, a few obvious things stood out to me. Plastic, clear and cylinder were a few words I used to describe my bottle. Those seemed like popular words throughout the class discussion. The actual design of the water bottle is actually quite cool if you look at it closely. When you buy a pack of plastic water bottles, it's interesting to see that they all have the exact size, shape and weight. I wonder if they have the exact same water or if some have very, very minuscule changes? It is astonishing that something can be extremely mass produced like water is. 

Other fun facts that I learned about water bottles was 1) tap water is just as good as purified water and 2) those ridges that you always see on plastic water bottles are there as grippers for consumers, but they also make the water inside the bottle appear more purified and more sparkly than it actually is. 

*Image was taken on my iPhone 6*

No comments:

Post a Comment